A bunion is a common foot deformity that many people struggle with. Today, podiatrists are the leading medical professionals treating this deformity. If you are looking for a podiatrist for bunion treatment in Towson, then you can have a peek at this website.
1) What is a Bunion – A bunion is a bony extension of the bone and soft tissue at the base of the big toe. This will make your foot look like you have a lump inside the base of your big toe, and will also point the tip of the big toe toward your second toe.
2) Who gets Bunions – Bunions are most common in women. Bunions are also more common in older people, with the incidence of lumps increasing with age.
3) Bunion Genetics – Many studies have shown that there appears to be a genetic link to bunion acquisition. This means that if someone in your family has a bunion, you are more likely to be tipped than the general population.
4) Bunion Symptoms – A lump on the outside of the base of the toe, swollen toe joint, limited movement, and ongoing pain of your big toe.
5) Shoes leading to Bunions – It has been proven that tight shoes and high heels can cause bunions. This could explain why bunions are more common in women.
6) Diagnosing a Bunion – If you think you have the above symptoms, see your podiatrist confirm a diagnosis.
7) Bunion Surgery – If the bunion is very painful or enlarged the treatment option is bunion surgery. This procedure helps to straighten the big toe. Don't just assume that bunions need surgery. Inflammation in the early stages can be controlled by non-surgical means which can even avoid future surgery.